With winter in full swing, I find myself daydreaming around the clock about warm, comforting soups and stews. However, we are still enjoying a sunny, crisp day every now and again, and that calls for a refreshingly light (but indulgently creamy!) mint and pea soup to ease us into the rainy season.
I recently did some recipe development for Fair Cape Dairies, and it was so much fun to play around with their expansive range of delectable dairy products. I particularly loved the versatility of their full cream plain yoghurt, which adds so much flair to a dish without compromising the flavour. Instead, it only adds nutritional goodness to every meal. Plus, kids love it!
This recipe for autumn pea soup is super easy, and because you can use frozen peas from the freezer, it’s quick to make with food cupboard staples on nights you don’t have time to cook.
The addition of Fair Cape Dairies’ full cream plain yoghurt means the soup is hearty and wholesome, full of natural goodness and flavour for the whole family. You can mix in as much yoghurt as you want, and feel free to dollop some on after plating for an extra hit of creaminess.
Serve with a baked garlic bread, or with a handful of croutons for the ultimate crunch factor. Also works a treat with buttered toast soldiers, or even just on it’s own for a lunch-time boost!
Approx. 6 servings
- Ready-made croutons
- Olive oil for frying
- 2 cups diced red onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup mint leaves roughly chopped
- Pinch of brown sugar, to taste
- 3/4 cup Fair Cape Dairies full cream plain yoghurt
- Grated lemon rind
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add oil, onion, and garlic to a pot; sauté until the onions are soft and caramelised.
- Stir in stock, peas, half of the mint mint, and sugar.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place half of pea mixture and the remaining mint in a blender.
- Very important step: remove the centre-piece of the lid after you’ve secured the jug and lid on the blender.
- Place a towel over lid opening. This will stop the soup from spilling everywhere.
- Blend until smooth and pour into a bowl.
- Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Return both batches to the pot and add the yoghurt, lemon rind and salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with croutons and a sprig of fresh mint.
For more great ideas or meal inspiration, please visit Fair Cape Dairies‘ social media pages, it’s just the right thing to do!
(Recipe adapted from My Recipes)
Disclaimer: I was given this product(s) as part of a press drop in exchange for my honest and truthful opinion and review thereof. All thoughts and opinions expressed herein are solely those of The Little Hedonist, given in good faith and in no way influenced by the company or its affiliates. All images, unless otherwise stated/credited, are also my own.